Friday, March 4, 2011

Educated Psychic: Spiritual Eclecticism

As a well-experienced practicing psychic consultant, I attract clients from a variety of religious backgrounds who in turn embrace varied systems of belief. Historically, there are three basic categories regarding belief: Atheism, Theism and Agnosticism. Within those, there are innumerable specific –isms and -ologies.

Atheists believe no god or higher power exists. Such persons are likely Materialists, but not necessarily immoral or amoral. Theists don’t have a corner on ethics or morality. The Atheist lives in the here and now and are characteristically free of thoughts about prior-existence or after-life. An Atheist may also be a Nihilist, one who believes there is no meaning or purpose in human life. It would be a rare psychic who calls himself an Atheist.

The pure Agnostic denies the ability of human mind TO KNOW
whether God, prior-life or after-life exists, or anything else that is not material and scientifically provable. Not all scientists, however, are agnostic since the rational-empirical mode of exploration is limited regarding objects that lend themselves to scientific investigation. The methodology is not equipped to deal with the extra-rational or spiritual. Scientists see themselves as Objective. Philosophical thinkers, though valuing “close thinking”, may allow for Subjectivism. Debunkers of psychics erroneously attempt to apply Scientific Method to non- or extra-rational matters.

Personally, I call myself an Agnostic Theist and a psychic. A contradiction in terms? I believe that we humans are limited in our ability TO KNOW, but free to BELIEVE anything we choose. Reasonable people sort through possibilities, and perhaps probabililties, and espouse that which “seems” true, to include what we understand a priori, or that which seems self-evident. What, one may ask, predisposes us to believe the ideas we espouse, however tentatively? The true SEEKER, in my opinion, keeps options open even while holding fast to a belief.

A Theist believes God and after-life exists. Not all believe in prior-lives and reincarnation, though psychics usually do. Monotheists, the fashion since ancient Egyptian days, believe there is but ONE GOD. Who and what that One God is or may be, however, may differ from believer to believer. Hence Subjectivism comes into play. Mind play. And, a Theist may believe in a personal deity or an impersonal one. A theist will say that she KNOWS God exists. Persons of my persuasion say that we BELIEVE God exists.

As a psychic-philosopher, I call myself a SPIRITUAL ECLECTIC. I am philosophically free to identify, choose and incorporate truths or Truths from any body of knowledge. What I embrace, however, must be consistent or compatible with other aspects of my personal belief system, though at times paradoxical ideas must be considered. Ideas and philosophical concepts may be quite complex and not easy to understand.                                                    

Like Carl Jung, Swiss Psychoanalytic Theorist, I prefer DIRECT EXPERIENCING OF GOD. We do not need or want middle-persons or go-betweens such as priests. A Spiritual Eclectic is free to “cherry pick” and leaves the chaff. The matter is up to me, not some self-anointed and historically preserved AUTHORITY. I have a good mind, and I use it both psychically and rationally. I am neither slave nor puppet. I am an intelligent Spiritual Eclectic and take truth and Truth wherever I find it. Personally, I put a lot of stock in recognition.                                               

The search and quest for refinement of thought never ends. We may theorize that human mind, as a particular within All-Mind, is unlimited, but in practice, it appears to have limitations in its ability to know anything absolutely. Like it or not, we humans operate essentially on the basis of belief more than definite knowledge. Or so I tend to believe.

Richard Lee Van Der Voort, M.A. Please see my website that includes books, blogs and psychic services at http://psychicconsultingbyemail.com. For more information about psychic readings my e-mail my address is psychicmind.vandervoort231@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment